Tuesday, July 19, 2011

London, South Shore and Greenwich

Under the Thames

With Verity in class, many days I was free to amble about. Several occasions I ended up on the Thames south shore. The day I went to Tate Modern and National Theatre I forgot my camera so those will remain in memory.



The day I went to Greenwich was different. After walking under the Thames I emerged to see the First Shop in the World, the conceit being that the nautical shop at Longitude zero is somehow first.

It had pleasant sailing junk and touristy stuff, mostly landlubber gear and not an old salt in sight.





As I near Greenwich Observatory I noticed a strange line across the road. Sherlock-like, I quickly deduced it to be Longitude zero!



Here is a lady leaving the east.







Then some lads leave the west.



Finally, for those who think my wandering indicates basic personal indecision, here I am astraddle Longitude zero, left leg heading to the orient, right leg to the occident and my nether regions, confused in between.




Now for something somewhat different, the National Observatory, an institution that had great responsibility for the slicing and dicing of planet Earth. Which in turn, helped Britannia rule the waves for a couple of centuries.










1 comment:

Plus None said...

Great crotch shot Padre!